Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Rear Window Re-Sealed and Looking Good!

I got a big project done today that has been needing doing for ages now. A few years ago, the outer part of the weather stripping on the rear window dry-rotted away. It wasn't bothering me, but recently I started to notice a tiny bit of surface rust in the gap between the glass and the roof.

Stupidly, I decided to do a "quick fix" and go about repairing the problem myself. I did this by slathering a bit of rust preventative in the gap and filling it in with a clear silicone caulk... Needless to say, I didn't do the job properly and made the problem about 10 times worse. In the month or so that the caulk was in place, I went from a barely noticeable bit of surface rust to this:




Not good!!! In a panic, I went to a local body shop and had them take a look. Luckily, I'd caught the rust early and it wouldn't be too big or expensive of a problem to correct. The only problem was, the OEM weather stripping was almost $400!!! Absolutely insane, but I guess that's what you get with a 15 year old low production car. I found it online for around $250, but that was still far more than I was willing to spend. But the owner of the body shop assured me that he would do some looking and try to find a generic weather stripping that would get the job done. 

So I dropped the car off a few days ago and let them have a go at it! Here's some progress pics. Luckily, the rust was mild enough that they were able to just sand it down to bare metal and put a rust-proofing primer back over it. 









The shop did find a weather stripping that fit, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Not the OEM piece, but I paid less for the entire job with labor than I would have for just the original bit of rubber from Volvo.. So I'm happy! Should last for years to come and keep the window leak and rust free! 






No comments:

Post a Comment